Feb 22

The pruning of a feeble philanthropist

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 in Family, Philosophy

I been cut back.

I didn’t notice it at first.  I watched the news and saw people protesting on behalf of the weaker members of society, but it didn’t once occur to me seriously that they were talking about me.  I depend on a Carer’s Allowance, Domicilliary Carer’s Allowance, and Child Benefit for sustainance, all of which were pruned heavily at various stages over the last year or two.  Seemingly overnight, my bank balance hit the pits, the lack of digits instilled a panic in me that lasted all of a week or two.

I’m suddenly walking around local markets with a calculator, trying hard to fit a week’s shopping into twenty euros.  I’m saving up for kerosene and putting three jumpers on my children until heating is afforded, and have had to cancel direct debits to Concern, Trocaire and the Irish School for the Deaf… that bothered me more than anything else.

Photobucket

(Picture: Adolphe-William Bouguereau)

I’d complain about it, and I’d sure as hell put a flea in the ear of any polititian that darkened my door, but I don’t because I’m pretty sure that this is all a good thing in it’s own peculiar way.  What goes up, must come down.  We were rich, now we’re poor, our Grandkids will be rich again, it’s just the way things flow.

Meanwhile Puppychild’s un-learning her materialistic fetishes in favour of jigsaws and chalk, Sir Fartsalot’s savings fund is looking bleak but maybe this will teach him the meaning of money so that when he does someday cash in his savings, they’ll go to the right places.  The munchie cupboard is bare of biscuits and crisps now, instead it homes flour and baking soda… I’ve been meaning to sharpen my baking skills anyway.

I couldn’t give a flying fuck who’s fault it was, regarding this banking crisis.  Part of the time I think it’s just a conspiracy, something somebody made up to cover for a greater plot.  My vague attempts at beginning a revolution petered out when I realised that we all have very little to complain about, we still have basic rights and services for when we hit rock bottom and that’s a lot more than some other countries can boast.

The one thing that scares me is Laughingboy.  If things should conspire the wrong way and we are left without free medical aid, he’s bunched.  Would the government let him die?  Probably.  I’d most likely have to start a charity in his name to cover the costs of his equipment and medication and giving my past organisational skills, I’m scared for him, but we’ll cross that gorge when we come to it.

Meanwhile I vote for Socialism.  I don’t care.  Since reading The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists the concept just makes so much sense to me.  I’ll vote for Sinn Fein even though I know there’s no point, but the point is to vote anyway, and I hold out the hope the rest of those feeble philanthropists out there vote their own way too, that this will be a fair election.

But it won’t, and so life will go on…

…but hopefully without all the complaining.

1. Roy says:

Hi K8, I’d love to say I enjoyed your post but it was hardly uplifting! More a tale of our times, I really hope you’re wrong with the grand children line , hopefully our kids live to see some good times, I’ve also converted from looney left to near fascist! Where does this leave our relationship? Are we drifting apart?
    We’ll always have link love!

Oh god. I don’t know if Sinn Fein is the answer. I really don’t.

I don’t know. Short term changes, yes, maybe. But then, who are we stuck with? People who created and perpetuated a culture of violence, misery and revenge that will last for generations to come. I don’t know.

Go talk to Stephen Donnelly and see what he says about Laughingboy’s heath care. I’d be interested in his response.

In the meantime, come over here for cheese toasties.

How perfect is that picture, btw?

Nah, no probs. with kiddies medicine! You will not be left without medical aid, at least not for Children. There would be murder and mayhem if they messed with medical aid.

On the other hand the rest of us will be forced to take the generic meds. and will have to pay more for the G.M.S monthly charge.

5. Holemaster says:

Your own parents seem like the coolest dudes ever and yourself and TAT carry that on for your own kids.

Nothing can buy that.

6. Vicky Rogers says:

Im with you there kate. My budget is getting tightter and tighter with each week that comes and goes in and out. But i think the best thing is not to worry abiut it. I was getting so sick from not sleeping over everything but if anything if sinn finn do get in they might be able to sort out my own hime situation. Its actually gas now. I went to a another wanna be election guy last year to help me with my housing problem. I havent heard from his since. BUt no wait i did hear from her i got a letter there the other day can i ask for your vote. Hmm yeah i think not gobshite. Im in dire straits at the moment and you want my vote. Go and feck off for gods sake. If i could say anything to ease your mind try and not worry about hey. just remember your doing an awesome job with your children and you have tat there to help ya along. as fpr the banking crisis they can all go and feck off. I dont see why others should be hit at all FFS. its like saying that the dog ate my homework.

7. Vicky Rogers says:

ohh sorry i meant to say im now on twitter my blog is now talking a more folk musical direction follow me if ya dare. My blog will have band and singer reviews that i shall be seeing in town.

Jo I hear you. Not only do I love cheese toasties, but also those independant dudes with their bright ideals… I worry about their immunity to big brown envelopes once they’ve gotten their foots in the doors, and I’m thinking that anything besides this weird Labour/Fine Gael BS would be a refreshing thing. I’ve also discovered that dessicated coconut in pancake batter is a thing to behold! But that’s neither here nor there.

Granny; That’s more of a deepest, darkest sort of situation, you hope for the worst, you’re happy with the rest, you know that sort of buzz.

Holemaster; Are you kidding me?!?!? My parents are certifiable… it’s a wonder I’m not a psychopath! It’s always the quiet ones you know.

Vicky; I’d join ya but I’m allergic to Twitter and my password’s fallen into oblivion. I like folk though, I remain your stalker as ever.

Roy!! You mistake me for somebody who gives a shit about politicks! Come back to me darling, fellow quirky taxi drivers are thin on the ground, just look at our lack of strange bumper stickers. :(

10. Holemaster says:

Certifiable in my book usually means normal. My parents used to go and watch men in dresses turning wine into blood in a cauldron.

11. Kirk M says:

Ah, times are crazy all over. Even here in the States but I feel for you that’s for sure. I’d send you half my wealth just to help out but unfortunately that would only amount to around $15 and change at the moment. So I’ll just have to send good thoughts your way. Got plenty of that so you can send some to your neighbors as well?

All is not lost K8, ALDI are setting up shop in Bray. 2 cans ofTennant’s lager and a pack of
    stir fry chicken for 5 euro!

Where? When?

Next year Joe! Superquinn are supposed to be
    moving and making way for Aldi!!!!!

Holemaster; How gothic! That seems so cool, in a grass-is-greener sort of way.

Kirk M; I do envy you those good thoughts. Mine seem to be just below the surface of the soil, just because I can’t see them, doesn’t mean they aren’t there. It’s a weird time of year.

Granny; I’m just not so comfortable sending money to ze Germans. They seem to have enough already! I’ll miss Superquinn :( I love the way I can get away with never paying for parking.

16. unstranger says:

Good post and as clear and concise as ever. The future certainly does not look so bright for the present upcoming generation. What a complete disaster and it’s only just beginning.

Perhaps Superquinn are going ahead with their plans to move up to the Southern Cross? That would be grand. I like them too, but they really are bloody expensive.

18. Camron says:

Start a PayPal account, and start an online link. We’ll be there, just give us the means.

Obviously, there’s more to it that that. But let’s start at the beginning.

I want to give some money to PuppyChild. How do I do that, again?

Unstranger; It’s just a different sort of future to the one we’ve planned… not necessarily any worse, maybe.

Jo; Oh! It’s good they’re sticking around, it’s a far less threatening place than your average hyper-sameness that’s creeping up, even if it is expensive.

Camron; Thank you, seriously so much for being so kind as to offer to help, but we’re thankfully far from poverty yet and I count myself increadibly lucky for that. I shudder to wonder what a mortgage or unemployment would feel like, my heart goes out to those out there who are really struggling. It’s probably St Vincent De Paul who need cashflow right about now.