May 21

The Quiet American

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 in Family, munchies, Strange and Unusual

I was kind of nervous at the prospect of meeting Jefferson Davis, I’ve heard his podcasts with BrianF and Dad and by the sounds of it, he is one intelligent guy.  I tend to steer clear of intelligent people as a rule, they have a habit of showing me up.  My half of the conversation seems to fill up with potholes of confused space, making life difficult for the other person who soon gets tired of prompting and goes in search of something more titillating.

This was not so with Jefferson though.  We hooked up at Headrambles Manor and I watched as Grandad slowly emptied can after can of Guinness into his and Jefferson’s belly and banter flowed free.  We skyped BrianF to make him jealous, spoke about things that are and things that should be, and watched Dustin honour Ireland in his own special way and it was good.  Jefferson’s a quiet bloke with an accepting presence and the skill of throwing out honesty that makes you feel like an old friend.  Seriously great company to be in, innit?

I brought him to Johnny Fox’s for five minutes because circumstances were unfavourable (this pub has seriously lost it’s people skills), then to Barracuda in Bray where we got some grub and got to watch the sky turn from purple to brown by the sea-shore.

Today I dragged him all over the place, or at least to as many aesthetically interesting places in Wicklow as I could within reason.  We went to Lough Dan at the brink of the Sally Gap to gaze down into the valley for a bit, then strolled around Victoria’s Way to meditate and admire the statues (I was worried about bringing Puppychild to this as some of Victoria’s art is disturbing to say the least, but as it turned out, the butterfly season is here which kept her busy enough!).  Jefferson and I admired the statues, books and craftwork in the shop which was empty of any other living soul. He watched as I helped myself to some jewellery and left money under the brass monkey on the counter, and appreciated how truly Zen-like this Victoria character is.

We got an Avoca take-away (Avoca Foccaccia is the yummiest Foccaccia there is) and drove home to eat and wait for Laughingboy to return home from school.  I was dissapointed that the neighbours behaved themselves and denied Jefforson any scandal, but there you go.

I thought Powerscourt deserved a bit of a mooch, but we got there just as the gardens were closing which was a crying shame, so I brought him to Powerscourt waterfall instead.  Jefferson farted about with his camera over towards the waterfall itself while I brought the kids to the playground.

I say ‘I brought the kids’, but ashamedly I got pretty excited when I saw it and almost forgot to bring the children with me…  it’s one of those highly-sophisticated jobs with lever-controlled sand diggers and climbing towers and a most excellent roundabout with central controlling.  I –  sorry – we… had a ball and Jefferson had to drag the lot of us away kicking and screaming when it was time to go home.  It was quite embarrasing in hindsight.  To give an example of it’s excellence, I noticed that the entire bus of (adult) Croatian toursits were not over by the waterfall farting about with their cameras,  instead they were clambering all over the rope-bridges and photographing each other making tits of themselves by the monkey-bars, giggling away like four-year-olds.  It was quite amazing to watch.

Today was the best tourism epic since Gwen the French student of ’03.  Thanks Jeffo :)

Well done K8 sounds like you filled the day admirably with your guest . . . but as Yoda said to Obewan . . . “there is another. . .” So don’t put your tour guide itinerary away just yet!

2. Anonymous says:

Well, lass, I must say I’m a bit ansty – I’ve long since run out of dwarves and this ‘regular job’ bit is getting old. More, the high this week is only supposed to reach 3° C…a bit nasty for my tastes.

What say you I pop up that way and put 2 behind Johnnie‘s ear for old time’s sake? No muss, no fuss, eh?

I promise to hurry back down here to wait for you.

Bored in Tierra del Fuego

I bet JD had a ball!

Well done K8.

4. Good day… Powerscourt always goes down a treat, shudda skipped Johnny Foxes and gone to the blue light though better view and more authentic

5. Awww…Thank you, K8. I had a blast! It was all amazing! Those statues were too cool!!! The saying is true, K8 is Gr8! :)

6. Nick says:

“Potholes of confused space etc” Ah, a situation I recognise all too well! And isn’t it a relief when someone like JD doesn’t mind at all and is just quietly welcoming and giving?

Sounds like a great day. Liked the bit about the Croatian tourists ignoring the waterfall and fooling around on the kids’ stuff. Good job Grandad was elsewhere or he might have finished them off.

Baino; Ah jeez I’ve plenty of tour-guiding left under me belt :)

Grannymar; Have fun today ;)

Roy; Will do from now on… forgot about the Blue Light, but we were looking for grub at about 9pm which is tough here in Wicklow for some reason. I wonder do they do munchies?

Jefferson; Hey no problem dood! Thanks for some excellent company :)

Nick; It’s ok, I told them there was a much bigger and better playground up in the Dublin Mountains, then phoned Dad and told him to set up some signs along the road. He seemed quite chuffed and has now filled his culling quota for the month.

Anonymous Doc; Sorry you got filterized!!! Thanks for being so patient… did you get the basket of muffins I sent? 3° C seems a bit harsh, would you like me to get my mum to knit you a willy warmer? She’s a dab-hand with rude craft-work.

9. If you like that playground check out Cabinteely park. Dare you to resist that climbing frame. Herbert park is pretty cool now it has been done up too.

10. Deborah says:

Wow K8 sounds like a great time. So cool how this blogging lark brings people together across the miles! :)

11. Sounds great, K8

I’ve only ever met Irish bloggers but if all bloggers are as hospitable as the Irishers I met, and as you were to Jefferson Davis, the world’s in danger of having some peace and understanding going on in it for a change.

This blogging lark’s a blast.

I read somewhere that you were suppose to drop him in a bog hole and now I find out that you took him sightseeing instead. Now I’m really jealous.

13. @Brian F., She did throw me off in the bog at the end! I’m just really good at escaping!!! :)

Thriftcriminal; I haven’t been to Cabinteely park in years!! I’d forgotten about that place… excellent picnic spot, that.

Deborah; It’s so great to meet the face behind the words :)

Sam, Problemchildbride; Amen, gal! From what I hear though, Jefferson wasn’t feeling so much peace after Dario Sanchez’ hospitality in Temple Bar on friday night ;)

Brianf; AND he robbed some turf in the process! The man is more Oirish than you’d think!

15. Seriously, you make Wicklow sound like a van morrisson song.

In a good, I’ve had a puff or two kind of way.

16. Mary Witzl says:

I just nipped over to Jefferson Davis’ blog (intriguing name!) I get that “You can’t be American!” thing quite a bit myself. The idea that an American might not be wearing tacky clothes, making a racket and generally behaving in a crass, ill-mannered way seems to amaze many people here. Sigh.

17. Mary Witzl says:

I can’t get over it — I can WordPress again! What happened?

Xbox4NappyRash; It’s true… every day is like this.

Mary Witzl; Quality blog, isn’t it? Jeffo seems to be king of blending into new cultures!
    About the filtering thing – everytime you use a new username or email address on here you get filtered. It’s a bit of a pain in the bum.

19. King Bob says:

I would like to thank you for the pointer on Victoria’s way. Went there at the weekend and it was excellent.

Yeah!!! Nice one. I love being right :)

Did you create or die?

21. Kate says:

Wow that was like time travelling back to my childhood – holidays with my family in Bray – going to Greystones and
    Powerscourt – I still have all the photos!!!!

22. […] my favourites.  It was a brisk early Spring morn, when K8, Puppychild, and I treaded through Victoria’s Way.  As we approached the pond, I was halted by the serene scene.  Of all the places I have […]